Creating the me3saves database (MAJOR ME3 spoilers)

Discuss the Mass Effect games here. Please use spoiler tags!

Creating the me3saves database (MAJOR ME3 spoilers)

Postby Annakie » March 13th, 2012, 10:34 am

Excuse my word-vomit in this post but I'm trying to sort out a lot of things.

Since I finished the game, I've been trying to wrap my head around how the ME3 database needs to look. First up, I'm not a programmer, a friend of mine does the programming itself but I still need to design what the thing looks like.

There are just so many variables. SO MANY. I've only played through once so I don't know them all, so I need some help from the rest of you. I don't think anyone even has a list up of everything that imports from ME2 yet, alone all the stuff from ME3 that effects other things that could be important.

I'm sure there are people who can die that I don't know about and people who died for me who can live and... argh. There are now even important things in ME1 that we didn't realize would matter much in ME3 that DO. Little things like if you have the Elkoss Combine license count towards GAW score. And there are so many ways things can be different just coming in from ME2 not to mention all the hundreds of ways things can change as you go along in ME3.

So I thought I'd ask for help with ideas for creating this thing that will make sure the most important decisions are taken care of and what just needs to be in the text box because it's too complex for checkboxes and drop down lists. And I don't want too many of those, the text box field is just going to have to cover more stuff at this point because there's so many ways that so many things could have happened. I need to figure out what is the most important things that can be checkboxes/drop downs and what needs to be text fields.

Maybe this time I need a LOT of text fields for things like "Describe what happened with the Krogan/Turian/Salarian alliance? Who are you allied with? Did the Genophage cure get deployed? Is Mordin alive? Is Wrex alive? Is Eve alive?" then a whole other text box for Quarian/Geth and another one for other squadmates and another one for endgame choices... is that too much?

See, I sort of already have this problem with people... not paying attention when they submit. And a lot of people submit things "just to see if it works". And lately people have been copy/pasting OTHER PEOPLE'S text boxes and submitting THAT just see if they can get something through. It's driving me crazy. And people tell me the submission process is already TOO complicated. And my biggest problem is people NOT filling out the text box field no matter HOW obnoxious I make the coloring about it and how many times I point it out and link to the instructions and tell them if it's blank I'm not publishing their saves. People hate reading, they hate things being complicated, but these saves and choices are already so complex that submitting HAS to have a lot of fields and choices or else people won't know WTF they're downloading. So how do I minimize that?

-------------------

Obviously, the most major things going in from ME2 to ME3 are who's alive and dead can probably be check boxes, or maybe control-shift multiple choice fields. Every squadmate from ME2 plays into the story in ME3 in some small way like Zaeed and Kasumi, or a huge way like Garrus and Tali, not to mention the Virmire Survivor. Laying out who's alive and who's dead just coming in will have to be a major step. But then, there's who, of those people plus new squadmates like James, EDI and Javik, are still alive at the end of ME3? The ONLY ME2 squadmate that is un-saveable in ME3 is Thane. Everyone else, including Legion, Tali and even Mordin in the right conditions, can live.

Wait, actually I don't know about Morinth. Anyone know if Morinth is saveable in ME3? I know she turns into a reaper banshee or something, but can she live and be fine?

And I think, but i'm not sure, that loyalty coming into ME3 is important, because in the save I imported Zaeed wasn't loyal but he was alive. He died in ME3.

----

Next, romances. It's possible to romance different people in all 3 games. It's possible to romance more than one person, apparently, in just this game. Maybe I need a text box at this point that's just "Describe your character's romantic history"?

----

The next thing will be how to handle the major alliances. I was able to ally the Krogan, Turians and Salarians. Is it possible to only have one of the three at the end? Or is it always Krogans only, or Turians & Salarians only, or ally all three?

I was also able to ally the Quarians and Geth. Is it possible for Legion to live? Is it possible to NOT ally the Quarians but have Tali live?

The Asari will always join with you and be allies, right?

Anderson will always die at the end, right? Will Hackett die in some circumstances?

How many squadmates can die and under what circumstances? I know the VS can be killed at the confrontation with Udina, how else can they die? Can they be told they're not welcome on the Normandy, but still live?

Total millitary score (not effective) will need to be its own field, or at least selectable fields with values.

How would I even begin to ask people how much of the planet scanning stuff they did for more TMS stuff they did? When I submit my own saves, I have to go back and open them in gibbed / the game and scroll through the journal to see what choices I made already. Asking people "Hey did you help that guy on the citadel embassy who's son is missing?" People may not remember that thing. So maybe just a general "What's your TMS?" would have to sub in for "yeah this person did (or didn't do) a lot of extra stuff" as sort of a general answer for all that.

Okay, that's enough word vomit for now. I welcome your ideas about what you think is/isn't important and how to handle it.
Annakie
Site Admin

Re: Creating the me3saves database (MAJOR ME3 spoilers)

Postby Rednose » March 14th, 2012, 3:01 am

hmm, so many questions
for the purpose of reimporting a ME3 save into ME3 for a 2nd playthrough, not many ME3 details are needed: class, money, equipment, upgraded weapons, alignment
more important would be the ME1 and 2 details, these should be as detailed as possible.

if ME3 saves could be used for another game, like bioware hinted, you'll need tons of info...

oh and btw, if you could add a link to this forum to the control panel on the top of those pages, it might help to get more people to post in here
Rednose

Postby Annakie » March 14th, 2012, 9:53 am

Yeah, that's the thing though, Bioware said "hang on to the saves" so I think the ME3 database needs to be as detailed as the previous two, even if there is no Mass Effect 4 which takes all the choices into account like moving ME1 to ME2 to ME3 does.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that the multiple text fields is the right way to go. Enough people DO read and submit correctly that I think it's the best way to do it, because at this point each save is going to tell a story that checkboxes just can't do justice to. Hopefully I can get it designed in the next couple of days and Sporkley can get it written over the weekend or so.

Also, thanks for reminding me to put the message board on the menu. I don't know how I managed to run this thing so long when I don't even know the basics of how to run a website. *facepalm*
Annakie
Site Admin

Postby Number5 » March 15th, 2012, 3:33 am

Seems there may be a simple way to aggregate all the ME:3 info. Use the War readiness read out.

It not perfect, that there will still need to be some extra info filled in to cover the plot-points. but a screenshot of the read-out can give a good idea on how "good" the save is
Number5

Postby Annakie » March 16th, 2012, 6:47 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... zdEE#gid=0

This is what I have currently. I would LOVE some feedback about what needs to be added/tweaked, what major decisions and ideas I've left out, what could be removed etc.

Thanks! :)
Annakie
Site Admin

Postby riverzzxox » March 17th, 2012, 11:50 am

well, i read the spreadsheet and i think that even thou you get all info it would be good if you made the sheet so
that the user can choose between 2 diffrent pages sumot like cleared ME3 games and Undone couse i think you
will get more users to join =) im acually making ME3 starter saves from the ME2 saves u have up atm and YE
plz Make ppl upload the whole folder for the char it makes it so much easier for ppl to just download it and use it =)

But on the other hand im one of the unlucky guys to be long term ill so im just doing this to past the time i have on my hands =)

i REally loved the ME serie.. untill this ending lol

well take care and i hope it helpes
riverzzxox

Postby Rednose » March 18th, 2012, 6:55 pm

you missed out on some small stuff:
-I think you can romance allers, too in ME3. I'm not sure if you can romance Thane and Jacob, rather doubt it.
-why the need of TMS and EMS before Horizon? I thought the point of no return was the attack on the cerberus base...
-for ME1 Infos, I think the Matriarch writings give a small war asset bonus. something with elkoss combine, too, but you'd have to check for that
-ME1: what happened to shiala/zhus hope?
-ME1: DLC's, especially what happened to balak?
-ME2: did you have dinner with kelly and did she look after your fish? DLCs? Arrival, Overlord decisions
-ME3: krogan: did eve survive? what happened to aralakh company and the rachni queen? was it the fake or right rachni queen?
-ME3 in general: have missions been left out? e.g. you can miss ~3 or more missions if you start priority tuchanka too early. Which weapons did you have and upgrade?(might get a little too far here) Which bonus powers are unlocked?
-ME3 geth/quarian: admiral koris is the one to rescue
Rednose

Postby Annakie » April 7th, 2012, 8:35 am

Thanks for that Rednose, your suggestions have been integrated where logical. That was exactly what I needed.

I'm leaving Thane/Jacob in though, because some people still considered themselves "faithful" to them (especially Thane), even if it doesn't technically count.

ME3 saves SHOULD be up sometime this coming week! :)
Annakie
Site Admin

Return to Game Discussion